Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Ongeipi! (Dialect of “ongini”)

Work in school has started and it’s fantastic! There are some challenges though;
  • We have 45 minutes (which always becomes less because they have no brake between classes) per class in a 7 day period.
  • There is no changing room and no showers or facilities to wash (no toilet).
  • The kids play in their school uniform, some in their black leather shoes and some barefoot.
  • Some classes are 60 kids.
  • All of our balls (which are very few) get flat in no time because of all the thorns and glass lying around.
  • The youngest learners don’t know English (and I’m not that good (yet) in Oshiwambo and Damara (Etanga = ball)).
  • The women teachers wear blouse, skirt and high heels in the sand!
    It’s 100°C, and the sun is always shining. (This is spring, I can’t wait until summer!)
  • There is no evaluation of the students in P.E.
  • The teachers actually don’t want to teach P.E. (or they wish I could just take the kids and leave them alone (not doing that though :))

Despite all of the above:

  • We are having so much fun!
  • The kids love me and I love them!
  • The teachers love me (and hit on me) and I love them!
  • I, the kids and the teachers learn a lot!

I have also a program in school where some of the older learners (grade 7-10) teach the younger learners (grade 1-4) P.E. It is working very well and they are very professional in their work.


The art exhibition on Namutoni Lodge was a success! Many of the children sold paintings for 300-500 N$ each! They also went for a game drive in the park. Many children continue making paintings to sell at the lodge. Some of the money will go to the school and some to the painter.

Today is “pay day” so many of the teachers jumped up in the back of Barney’s car and went to Tsumeb to burn some money. The teachers here have a quite high salary, around 4800 N$/month.


Kaliipo nawa! (Goodbye, see you later)

No comments: